Seagle Law is currently listed in US News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms in America.” Harold Seagle is listed in Best Lawyers in America and Who’s Who in American Law and has been so listed for more than 20 years.
Harold has been in practice since 1977, beginning his practice in Wilmington with Rountree and Newton. Soon after joining the firm, Harold formed a partnership with George Rountree, III under the name of Rountree and Seagle, and remained there until returning home to the North Carolina Mountains in 2001. Over the years, Harold has expanded his practice areas by working individually on many local, national and international matters and, at the same time, has continued working in association with leading attorneys and firms all across North Carolina and the United States. His practice has grown dramatically in scope and complexity, leading him to significant involvement in many nationally prominent environmental matters in litigation. For example, he and his associates have served successfully as Private Attorneys General for the State of California in litigation against the major oil companies in the US for ground water contamination, the trial team being awarded the California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year award for environmental cases. He has been substantially involved in hundreds of cases stemming from the Deepwater Horizon matter in the Gulf (BP Oil Spill) and has otherwise been actively involved in many major environmental and pharmaceutical cases of national significance.
Importantly, having always found the general practice of law to be a part of his calling, Harold has continued to make himself available to help in whatever general legal work and public service he is called upon to do. For this devotion, Harold was inducted into the NC Bar Association’s General Practice Hall of Fame in 2012.
Mark started his practice of law with Harold at his graduation from law school in 1998 and has enjoyed many varied and exciting experiences in the general practice of law. Since starting work in Wilmington, he has set about making his own way in the practice in order to broaden his horizons and to find his own place in the practice of law and in the business world. Although finding his gifts and talents in the practice of law outside the Courtroom, the working relationship between father and son has always been a great combination and has been of great value to the overall success of the firm. Harold has always said of Mark “even though he is my son — I have to say he has one of the best legal minds for analysis and creative reasoning that I have ever encountered.” Mark is now “Of Counsel” to the firm and, while he is fully engaged in work for AbbVee in Chicago, he is always just a telephone call away and is ever ready to help his dad.
Representative Environmental Law Cases
- Harold and trial team in California selected by California Lawyer as California Lawyer’s Attorneys of the Year for Environmental Cases for their service as Private Attorneys General for the State of California in securing settlements of groundwater contamination litigation against major oil companies throughout California involving more than 1000 sites and valued at approximately $200 million.
- MTBE chemical contamination litigation in North Carolina Federal Court (Wilmington) representing more than 250 plaintiffs and, after trial, recovering the largest settlement in North Carolina history at the time of the settlement;
- Ground water Contamination case involving Diesel fuel, chromium/chromate, chlorinated solvents and toluene representing individual plaintiffs against Trinity American Corporation
- Numerous cases involved in Oil Rig Deepwater Horizon / BP Oil Spill successfully resolved for individual and corporate Plaintiffs in the Gulf of Mexico with many more cases currently in process.
- Actively working with several governmental entities in claims against DuPont and Chemours involving water contamination by GenX and other chemicals in the Cape Fear River region